Recipes

Monday, March 26, 2012

Hummus

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I have been dying to make this dish for some time now but personal reasons have not made it possible for me to indulge in this wonderful dish. I had my first taste of hummus about 4 years ago when I was preparing a Moroccan-inspired dinner for friends back in Atlanta. I've seen hummus in various parties and picnics but I never bothered to try it for myself. When I did make my very own hummus, I had to check with friends if the taste was right or if I did make hummus. From then on, I try to make it whenever I can find a reasonably priced tahini which is the main ingredient for the dish.

I originally planned to prepare this treat as part of our packed lunch to rendezvous with friends at Yellowstone's Boiling River. Due to a change of plans, we ended up going there late Friday afternoon instead of a Saturday so there was no need to pack any food. As a result, I am now left with a bottle of tahini with no reason to make hummus. An occasion did present itself and so I was able to make hummus this weekend. The recipe I use was adapted from Ina Garten's recipe. I'm also going to make it without the aid of a food processor since I killed mine while making the Garam Masala sauce.

Hummus - Adapted*

2 15-oz chickpeas, canned + 4 tbsp liquid from the can
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/3 cup tahini
4 tbsp lemon juice
8 dashes of hot sauce
1 tsp salt
olive oil
pinch of paprika

1. Drain the chickpeas reserving 4 tbsp of the liquid. Mash the chickpeas with
    a fork until roughly ground. Transfer to a mixer bowl and add the reserved
    liquid.

2. With the paddle attachment, beat the chickpeas until smooth at high
    speed for 3-4 minutes.

3. Add the tahini, lemon juice, hot sauce and the salt and beat until
    combined. Check for flavor and set aside in the fridge covered with
    clingfilm.

4. To serve, arrange a mound of hummus and create a well in the center.
    Drizzle in a good amount of olive oil and garnish with a pinch of paprika on
    the sides. Serve with pita bread.

*Garten, Ina, Barefoot Contessa, Food Network Channels, The Mediterranean Feast episode:1999.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment