Recipes

Monday, March 12, 2012

Pan Fried Tilapia with Mango Salsa

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I have been wanting to make this dish for months. I made this a long time ago way back in 2004 when I visited my family and I had the chance to invite my cousins over to stay with us for the night. I used tuna steaks at that time, seasoned simply with salt and pepper and pan fried in olive oil. I served them this dish for lunch for the very first and last time. I really don't know why but I never tried it again until these last few months when I seem to be craving fish a lot. I have been trying to find the right time to serve it for a dinner party but I ended up making it for myself last night with tilapia fillets. 

The dish is fairly simple in that you are basically pan-frying tilapia fillets or any fish fillets until they are cooked to a flaky crisp texture. You garnish the fried fish with the mango salsa that complements the delicate flavor of the fish. I do not remember the exact recipe I used to make the mango salsa but I put together a simple version which tasted great so there is no need to worry about it. I was also lucky to find Mexican mangoes that were golden yellow in color but were still firm in texture. I usually go for the semi-ripe Haden or Tommy Atkins variety which are the more common mango cultivars in the US. Still, the mangoes I bought had the perfect texture for the salsa that I wanted to serve with the fish.

Pan Fried Tilapia with Mango Salsa

4 tilapia fillets, frozen
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil + extra for frying

1. Thaw the fillets to room temperature. Pat dry with paper towels and lay
    flat on a chopping board. Drizzle with the 2 tbsp olive oil and season on
    both sides with salt and pepper.

2. Put the flour on a glass baking dish and season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4
    tsp black pepper.

3. Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Dredge the
    fillets with the flour mixture and tap the excess off before frying to a
    light golden brown crisp. This will take about 3-4 minutes for each side.
    Do not overfry the fish. Do this in batches and add more oil if necessary.
  
4. To serve, lay one or two fillets on a plate and add a scoop of the mango
    salsa on the side. Top with cilantro leaves to garnish.

Mango Salsa

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
2 mangoes, ripe but firm
1/4 cup diced red onions
1 tbsp ginger, diced finely
1 cucumber, peeled and
   deseeded, diced finely
juice of 1/2 lime
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp chopped cilantro

1. Slice the mango halves
    from the pith and scoop
    it out with a spoon.
    Dice finely.

2. In a small bowl, combine the mangoes with the onions, ginger, cucumber
    and season with the lime juice and a little bit of salt and pepper. Toss
    and cover with clingfilm and set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes.

3. When ready to serve, add the sesame oil and the cilantro and give the
    salsa one last toss. Check for flavor and adjust accordingly. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment