|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Chicken with Mung Bean Stew
2 cups mung beans
2-3 lbs chicken pieces
1 stalk lemon grass, twisted into a knot
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp fish sauce, optional
salt and pepper
4 cups fresh spinach leaves
3 cups chicken broth
3 tbsp canola oil
1. In a large pot, boil the mung beans in 6 cups of water over medium
heat. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to medium low. Cover the pot
and continue to cook until the mung bean has softened. This might take
about an hour. Add more water if necessary. When cooked, set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic
and saute until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon-
grass and saute for two minutes.
3. Add the chicken pieces and cook until slightly browned. Season with salt
and pepper. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
4. Cover the pot and decrease the heat to low and cook until the chicken is
tender. Check the seasoning and add the fish sauce if using, or just adjust
with salt and pepper.
5. Add the cooked mung bean including the liquid it was cooked in and stir.
Let it simmer for 10 minutes and check for flavor.
6. Add the spinach leaves and cook until just wilted. Serve hot with a bowl
of steamed rice.