Recipes

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cheese Pimiento

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Another recipe down memory lane is Cheese Pimiento. My cousin wanted to buy ready made Cheese Whiz with pimiento for my nieces and nephew but I told her we should just make it from scratch. I then racked my brain as to how I used to make this dish when I was in grade school during my birthday parties. Yep, I make my own sandwiches to serve at my birthday parties. This sandwich spread is definitely an old favorite of mine and we used to make these every time we had a party in the house. I just totally forgot about it until now. 

There are only three ingredients to make this spread. Two are not really the healthiest ingredients and the third, well, it is but is not enough to balance out the other two. First up is the cheese. No fancy cheese required here. In fact, what you need is the easy melt cheese of the Velveeta variety, about a pound. Next ingredient is 4 oz of diced pimiento. They sell them in bottled jars right now so that makes your life a bit easier. Do not, however, buy the roasted pepper kind. Last but not least, 1/4 cup of condensed milk. This is to sweeten the spread as well as to moisten it and allow the peppers to blend well into the mushy cheese. After grating the cheese in the large grate of a box grater and mixing well with the rest of the ingredients, the spread is ready to be used on your favorite bread. Ah, to be 12 again!  

Addendum:
Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I made a new batch the day after I arrived back to Montana but I used a different recipe that added mayonnaise to the spread and sadly, it was not my favorite. The simple version I posted above is actually better in terms of flavor and texture. Adding the 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise required the addition of more condensed milk to balance out the saltiness. It however ended up a bit watery so I had to let it rest in the fridge overnight and by then, it reached the right consistency for spreading on a piece of white bread. It has this salty undertone which to me distracts from the overall flavor of the spread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment