Recipes

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Persimmon Pudding

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Another dessert I want to make is persimmon pudding. After reading the wiki page about persimmon, part of the entry on the culinary uses of the fruit mentioned persimmon pudding as a very popular dessert in the 70s but is not quite as popular now as it once was. That stoked my interest in trying out this dessert if I can find a good recipe since it reminded me of tiramisu which was also considered as a very outdated dessert which to me is total and utter rubbish.

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I'm using an 8-inch springform pan to make this dessert instead of a regular 9x9 cake pan. It will make it easier to remove the cake once baked. I also think that whipped cream is a wonderful topping to this dessert and I really cannot just wait to try out and see how this dessert tastes like. Of course, if you have vanilla ice cream, that would be great too. The recipe is adapted from a new blog I found while searching for a recipe to use. I was intrigued and amused by her background story for the pudding that I was sold even before I finished reading her post. 

Persimmon Pudding - Adapted*

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
2 cups fresh Hachiya 
   persimmon pulp, peeled
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly grated 

   nutmeg
2 cups milk
1 egg
1 tbsp melted butter, 

   plus more to butter pan

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch springform pan and line with 
    wax or parchment paper. Set aside.

2. In a bowl, mix the baking soda and sugar with the persimmon pulp and 
    set aside. 

3. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and spices to the persimmon mixture 
    and mix until flour is just incorporated.

4. Add the milk, egg and butter to the persimmon and flour mixture. Pour 
    into the prepared pan.

5. Bake for 1 hour. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before 
    serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment