Recipes

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Clementine Torte

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Here is a classic example of the classic problem I have which is to try and save one item of food by making something wonderful with it which results to an even more elaborate and sometimes expensive endeavor. Makes you rethink the initial plan which was to save in contrast to just chucking the single item in the first place. As it is, I had 6 clementines leftover from the bag of clementines I bought to make the cranberry sauce for thanksgiving. Since I am not a big fan of oranges or the likes, I searched for a recipe that makes use of clementines. It was a stroke of luck to find a torte recipe that uses the same exact amount of clementines I have. Problem is, it is gluten-free (not on purpose) and uses almond meal instead of flour. This ingredient alone will cost me $9. How's that for saving 6 clementines that might be worth $1.50 at the most. I'm quite sure I did really well in Math during college. Heck, I did exceptionally well but it seems that I'm not exactly beaming with money-saving tactics here. On the contrary, I'm on the losing end.

Still, I had to press on and go with it. For one, I'm very intrigued at how this cake will turn out. Having said that the cake is gluten-free, it is also dairy free which is a big plus not to me directly but for some people with allergy issues. The only source of liquids are the eggs and the juice of the clementines so this cake needs to be made ahead of time to allow it to rest. The cake is going to be moist but I think that this comes from the oils in the almonds as well as the clementine peel that permeates into the cake. Most recipes I've seen for this cake (including this one from Joy of Baking) thus strongly suggest that the cake be made a few days ahead of time. Believe you me, you will be amazed at how moist this cake is. Delicious!

Clementine Torte - Adapted*

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
1 lb clementines (about 6 
  pieces)
2 3/4 cup almond meal
1 1/4 cup white sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

1. In a small pot, lay the 
    clementines and cover 
    with water. Bring to a 
    boil at medium heat. 
    Once boiling, lower the 
    heat to low and simmer for 2 hours. Let cool. 

2. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease and line a 9-inch springform pan and 
    grease again. Slice the cooled poached clementines and check for any 
    seeds. Remove the seeds and discard. 

3. In a blender or food processor, blitz the clementines until thick and 
    smooth. Add the eggs and blitz until incorporated. Add the rest of the 
    ingredients and process until smooth. 

4. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a 
    toothpick inserted comes out clean. 

5. Let cool on a wire rack and let it rest in a cake tin or a cake holder for 
    at least a few days. Serve with a dollop of whipped heavy cream or 
    creme fraiche.

* Joy of Baking blog: Clementine Torte  

No comments:

Post a Comment