Recipes

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Persimmon

Copyright 2011 LtDan'skitchen blogs
If you ever see this fruit in your grocery aisles, I suggest that you stop, cop a feel and when it springs back like a ripe tomato, pick it up and buy it. I was introduced to Persimmon about 4 years ago by my friend Jianrong. I've seen this fruit a number of times in the Farmer's Market in Atlanta but never really knew what to make of it. It looks like a tomato but the skin looks a bit woody and tough and it has no strong odor. I used to just ignore it and not care about this fruit but now, I get excited when I do see one. 

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen
I bought two last week and they were gone in one day. That is how bad my craving for this fruit is. And if you ever manage to try one, I think you will feel the same way. I do prefer the Jiro variety compared to the Hachiya kind and it is what I always get just because I know how good they are. You can also eat the skin which is also quite soft when ripe. I should give the latter variety a try the next time I stop by the grocery store though. I was also reading about them earlier this week and it turns out that persimmon pudding used to be really popular in the US but have since fallen out of favor. I might just give it a try one of these days. Oh, and in case you were wondering what it tastes like? It is a cross between mangoes and peaches. Not too bad, eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment