Recipes

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Truffles

Copyright 2011 LtDan'skitchen blogs
I concocted an ambitious plan about a month ago to make truffles and give them out as gifts for Christmas and it was indeed a brilliant plan. Sorry, I have been watching too many British shows lately. However, time nor strength was not on my side. I had the idea to play around with different chocolate glazes* as well as various types of truffles that included white chocolate truffles with cocoa nibs or coffee beans and flavored with Kahlua or Amaretto. I also planned to make Whiskey flavored truffles coated with white chocolate glaze and dusted with fleur de sel as well as regular chocolate truffles but instead of dusting with cocoa powder, I planned to glaze them with dark chocolate with a drizzling of white chocolate.

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Fast forward to now, the reality is quite further form the original plan starting with the fact that I totally forgot that the recipe I had for whiskey truffles do not work at all. I've made this before and the truffle just never set to the right consistency and I had to throw it away which I did again wasting 2 lbs of good dark chocolate. I also fell short on the amount of glaze I bought so I decided to stick to one kind of truffle and just use whatever glaze I had. I also decided to ditch the white chocolate truffle and will save that maybe for next year or when I go to Chicago but at the last minute, I decided to go for it. 

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
The recipe I eventually used used is Ina Garten's chocolate Truffle recipe but changed the kind of chocolate and the liqueur that was used depending on the truffle that was prepared. For the chocolate truffles, I used Amaretto which is an almond-based liqueur and for the white chocolate truffles, I used Kahlua and Tennessee Whiskey with the cocoa nibs and coffee beans respectively. I did do away with the espresso on the white chocolate truffles to make sure they stay white in color and semi-sweet chocolate was used to glaze them. I glazed the chocolate truffles with both dark and semi-sweet chocolate as well as white chocolate and drizzled them all with white chocolate.

*I used the Wilton brand easy melt chocolate glaze which is prefect for candy making. It comes in different colors and kinds. Just don't overheat while melting or it will seize. 

No comments:

Post a Comment