Recipes

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Morisqueta Tostada

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
This dish is referred to as Filipino Fried Rice. As a 6th grader, we had to make this dish for our Home Economics class. Yep, we were required to learn how to cook and sew. The sewing part, I wasn't too crazy about but the cooking part really interested me. Shocker! We started with egg omelet and a mistake in my recipe resulted in a too salty omelet. I had my doubts using a tablespoon of salt to season three eggs but being the good student, I followed it to a T. well, it was not very good. Our next menu was sauteed liver, of all things, but I actually loved that dish. The final dish was a class collaboration where we had to bring an extra lunch for that day to make Morisqueta Tostada. I totally forgot about it so to make sure I had a contribution, I only ate half of my packed lunch and reserved the rest for class. Okay, I'm finally coming clean for the first time in 26 years. 

I'm also coming clean with the fact that I lost a school award due to this dish. Our teacher, Ms. Hofilena, requested me and another friend during lunch break to go to the market to buy something for her for class that day. I thought it was funny to respond with, "No way, Jose!", and I did. She was none too pleased although I had a legitimate excuse to say no as we were already running an errand for another teacher. It was made worse when she mentioned in class that some people said no to her request that day and I happily curtsied and said, "Miss, with pleasure!". I lost the Best in Conduct award that day which went to my friend Donna Mae (my also none too pleased adviser told me this little tidbit during the announcement of awardees a few weeks before graduation followed by an order to apologize to Ms Hofilena right away). Hey, I was 12, what the hell did I know? 

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
The idea of this dish is to make use of whatever ingredients you may have available, but there are a few basic ingredients. First obviously is the rice. Another basic ingredient is the omelet. The rest of the ingredients can be cooked meat, cured meats or fresh vegetables. The dish if flavored with soy sauce to give it the light brown color and a dash of salt and pepper. My personal preference for soy sauce for this dish is the Tamari kind, an aged Japanese soy sauce which has a slightly more complex flavor, although any regular low-salt soy sauce is okay. Perfect for breakfast, it can be eaten any time of the day. 

Morisqueta Tostada

4 cups cooked leftover rice, moistened with 1/4 cup cold water
1 cup diced ham
3 large eggs, scrambled
1/2 white onion, diced
1/4 cup garlic, minced
1/4 cup diced green onions
1 cup diced red peppers
1 cup diced green peppers
1 cup diced carrots
1 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
a handful of cilantro
3 tbsp canola oil

1. Heal oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the eggs and season with 
    salt and pepper. Once cooked, transfer to a cutting board and slice into 
    strips.

2. In the same pan, decrease the heat to low and roast the garlic until 
    golden brown. Set side on a paper towel. Add the onions and increase 
    the heat to medium. Saute until softened and season with salt and 
    pepper. 

3. Add the ham and brown. This will take about 5 minutes. Add the carrots 
    and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the green and red peppers and saute 
    for another 3 minutes. Add the green peas and saute until thawed and 
    increase the heat to medium high. 

4. Add the rice and mix well. Add the soy sauce and check for flavor and 
    adjust with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the rice is heated 
    through. Add the omelet and drizzle in the sesame oil and mix well. 
    Serve topped with chopped green onions, roasted garlic and cilantro.   

No comments:

Post a Comment