|Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Fried Tilapia in Sweet and Sour Sauce
5 lbs fresh whole tilapia, gutted and cleaned
salt and pepper
1 carrot, peeld and julienned
1 inch ginger, peeled and julienned
3-4 green onions, sliced in long strips
2 garlic cloved, minced
canola oil for sauteing and frying
1. Prepare the vegetables and set aside. Cut slits on both sides of the fish
and season with salt and pepper. Prepare the sauce. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the fish until golden
brown. Arrange fish on a serving tray.
3. In a saute pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil and roast garlic over medium heat until
golden brown. Spoon out garlic and set aside. Add the carrots and ginger
and saute for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the green onions.
4. Drizzle the sauce over the fried fish and top with the sauteed vegetables.
Sprinkle with the roasted garlic and serve immediately. Goes really well
with steamed white rice.
Sweet and Sour Sauce:*
2/3 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tbsp corn starch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
1 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp salt
1. In a small pot, combine all the ingredients except the corn starch. Heat
over medium heat until simmering and sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the cornstarch mixture and mix well. Continue to cook until the sauce
becomes glossy and thick.
*Laquian, E.; Sobriveñas, Filipino Cooking Here and Abroad, National Book Store, Inc. Manila:1977.